Applies to: Peak
We recommend updating the firmware of your Peak using Novation Components. Components is available at https://components.novationmusic.com/ and a standalone (non-web based) version is available in your Novation account once you have registered your Peak.
Components is a content manager for Novation products including Peak and is the best way to ensure that your product is up to date with the latest firmware. It also allows you to backup and restore your patches and other content from your device.
If you would prefer to update your Peak manually, please carefully follow the below instructions:
1. Download the attached 'Peak.zip' file from the bottom of this article and un-zip it. You will find two files contained within it, 'Peak-352.syx' and 'PeakFpga_353.syx'.
2. Ensure the USB cable from Peak is connected to the computer. Start Peak in Bootloader mode by pressing the 3 buttons on the left side of the screen while powering-on the Peak.
3. Install MIDI-OX from http://www.midiox.com/ .
4. Open MIDI-OX, click on the “Options” menu and select “MIDI Devices”. In the MIDI Outputs section click on “Peak Bootloader” so that it is highlighted blue and appears in the "Port Mapping". Click OK to close this Window.
5. Drag the “Peak-352.syx” file (from the attached folder) into the main window. The “Sysex View and Scratchpad” window will appear. In this window go to “Command Window” and then select “Send Sysex”.
If you get an error message at this point referring to buffering, you may need alter the transfer settings in MIDI-OX. In the “Sysex View and Scratchpad” view, go to Sysex > Configure. Make sure the settings are set as shown in the below screenshot. If that still doesn't work raise the “Milliseconds between buffers” to a higher value.
Peak will display the “% Received” of the firmware (WARNING the firmware update may not be finished when 100% is displayed – please wait for the bar to complete in MIDI-OX to confirm the update has successfully been sent). This may take 5-10 minutes to complete.
The Peak will restart in Normal mode once the Firmware update is completed. Do not turn off the computer, Peak or disconnect the USB cable.
6. Once the above is completed close the “Sysex View and Scratchpad” window, and go to the “Options” menu and select “MIDI Devices”. In the MIDI Outputs section click on “Peak” so that it is highlighted blue and appears in the "Port Mapping". Click OK to close this Window.
Drag the “PeakFpga_353.syx” file (from the attached folder) into the main window. The “Sysex View and Scratchpad” window will appear. In this window go to “Command Window” and then select “Send Sysex” to send the FPGA to the Peak while the unit is in normal Mode. This may take 15-20 minutes to complete.
Peak will display the “Fpga Block” as the FPGA gets updated.
7. Once the above is completed, turn the volume dial fully anti-clockwise and disconnect any audio/MIDI cables from the back of the Peak. Go the Settings. In the 2nd System page, launch “Calibrate” to initiate the calibration of the unit.
This may take 5 minutes to complete.